World War II
In mid-1940, with the threat of war looming, army officials began looking for sites that would be suitable for a division training area. By May 1941 an area in Richmond County had been selected for one of these new training areas. In July the U.S. War Department approved a contract to construct facilities on the new installation; the cost was estimated to be $24 million. An official groundbreaking and flag-raising ceremony took place in October.
The 56,000-acre training site was home to three divisions during the war: the 4th Infantry, the 26th Infantry, and the 10th Armored. After undergoing training at Camp Gordon, these units were shipped to the European theater of operations, where they each served with distinction. From October 1943 to January 1945 Camp Gordon served as an internment camp for foreign prisoners of war. From May 1945 until April 1946 the U.S. Army Personnel and Separation Center processed nearly 86,000 personnel for discharge from the army.
Fort Gordon since World War II
Fort Gordon's Current Status
Since June 1986 Fort Gordon has housed the U.S. Signal Corps, the branch of the U.S. Army responsible for providing and maintaining information systems and communication networks. The Signal Corps training center's primary purpose is to conduct specialized instruction for all Signal Corps military and civilian personnel. Marine corps, army, navy, air force, and multinational personnel also train at Fort Gordon.
Several units are responsible for supporting the "real-world" operations located at Fort Gordon. The
Several agencies provide mission support to the Signal center and to the army. The Directorate of Combat Developments serves as the architect for battlefield communications, and the Battle Command Battle Lab, one of three labs chartered by the Training and Doctrine Command, studies the functional command area on the battlefield.
The U.S. Army, Fort Gordon, and the National Science Center partnered to create Fort Discovery, an interactive educational center for the public. Located in a 128,000-square-foot, two-story building in downtown Augusta, the center features 280 hands-on exhibits. Fort Discovery also operates two 18-wheel vans, which travel the United States to generate interest in science and to serve as a visual recruiting tool for the army, in collaboration with the U.S. Army Recruiting Command.
Fort Gordon is a major employer in the central Savannah River area and in Augusta. Approximately 11,000 military and civilian personnel work at the installation. The post generates an annual impact of about $1 billion to the area's economy
Mark Dunn, Fort Gordon
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.